Hitch hit the nail right dead center on the head. Yesterday was the most inspirational and important days of my life. Not only did I get to spend a day in a big city with the closest of my friends, I was able to hear the music that I've taken a personal liking to, played LIVE, for the first time ever in the United States. We started out by getting into Chicago at 9:30am. Chilled out in the city, buying things from the Magnificent Mile and eating in the 8 Floor Mall in Chicago, making a stop to Borders and being paraded by people who wanted low income housing to be incorporated in new apartment buildings, or something like that. We all took a nap in the car and then ate at California Pizza Kitchen, took some group photos, and then pulled a 'Taxi'. We got dressed in the parking structure in front of cars that were trying to park lol Then we had problems with the ticket, cause apparently there's a 10 minute time limit to get out, and they were asking for $12 dollars EXTRA It was crazy.
*20 Minutes later*
We get to the city where the concert is, and then we see this long line of cars coming off the exit ramp. We thought the concert was in the opposite direction. NOPE! All the gamers were in the cars going toward the theatre. Saw a few funny licenses, they had their battle music blaring, and cosplayers applying the final touches on their display. It was crazy, there was a line wrapped around the theatre because they had so many people there. We thought to ourselves 'The gamers were late cause they couldn't find a save point at home' lol We get in and no sooner than we get our seats, we see the different types of gamers. The hot ones, the fat ones, the dirty ones, the ones that boasted about their skillz, the ones that didn't give a crap about their appearance. At one point we saw a girl in gothic gear and a guy wearing a Napster shirt and jogging pants from '98.
So the concert starts and then you hear people shouting and cheering and up on the screen is the tensai himself, Nobuo Uematsu, walking in the aisles to his seat in center row. We all stood up and gave him a warm, heart felt welcome and we see them march in, the choir. Here's the order of events:
1) Opening - Liberi Fatali (FFVIII): I AM NOT WORTHY! The choir was AWESOME and the screenshots from the game tied in well
Introduction of Master of Ceremonies - Gene Honda
2) Zanarkand (FFX): I AM NOT WORTHY! *CRIED* At first I thought it was going to be the song when they get to Zanarkand (the aura song after fighting Lady Yunalesca) but it was the song where Yuna was dancing on the water, sending the souls, and I love that song as well.
3) Terra's Theme (FFVI): Excellent Although I hadn't played this one, I still likes the song :)
4) Dear Friends (FFV): Excellent I remember this song from when I was playing it on ZSNES two years ago, it was nice to see it orchestrated.
5) Flamenco (FFIX): I AM NOT WORTHY! So the master introduces this like 80 year old guitar player and he plays that guitar to the BONE! They showed Vivi on the screen above and he got a standing ovation, it was great! I forget what town it was though.......*remembers* Alexandria :)
6) Love Grows (FFVIII): Excellent At first I didn't know what song it was, and then they showed the airplanes going across the moon, and I was like 'Oh, after the dance at the training center with Quistis! They showed the shots from the ballroom dance, very nice.
INTERMISSION! I bought a poster signed by Uematsu-san and used the bathroom.
7) Aeris' Theme (FFVII): I AM NOT WORTHY! *CRIED* This song had an introduction because it was from on of the most popular of the 12 games of Final Fantasy and yeah, words could not express my feelings when hearing this song. It left me teared up and speechless.....
8) Not Alone (FFIX): Good Unfamiliar with the song, I liked it. I never beat 9 >_<
9) Ronthorn (FFXI): Excellent Also unfamiliar with this song, I listened to it, and it had a nice pattern of drums in it and I was mesmerized!
10) FFI - FFIII Medley (FFI, FFII, FFIII): I AM NOT WORTHY Now why am I not you ask? Well I knew the songs from 3, but this is why ->
11) Chocobo Theme: I AM NOT WORTHY! Everyone started like moving in their seats, and it was awesome!
12) New theme for Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children: Excellent I'll have to buy the movie when it's released on March 22nd (GO AND BUY IT)! but the song was nice :)
13) Theme for Final Fantasy: Excellent I have never heard this song before, I've heard OF it, but yeah, it was nice. Lots of strings for that song :)
Closing statements - Gene Honda introduced Uematsu-san on the stage and we interacted with him. He asked us questions and informed us of his rock band The Black Mages, and we all promised to see his Black Mages concert if he came to the states. And then:
Uematsu-san: "Ancoru ga hoshii ka?"
Translator: Would you all like an encore?
*crowd goes insane*
*choir walks in and looks are confusing*
*Sephiroth's face appears on the screen*
*crowd breaks into chaos*
14) ENCORE - One Winged Angel: I AM NOT WORTHY! I haven't heard this song in AGES and then the choir comes in and sings the latin, I was like DAMN! Breath taking!
Summary of the night:
Pros: Shopping, Concert, taking pics of Uematsu-san
Cons: cold and THEY DIDN'T SELL ANY DAMN CDs!
I loved it, it was definitely worth the $75 bucks for the ticket, as well as the 3 1/2 hour trip there. *sits and tries to think of the concert in his head again.* I wish I could have had all my friends go because it was definitely a sight to see. The concert was sold out and I'm glad we go floor seats.